One adoptees' attempt to explore the conflicting feelings of having been adopted, and the impact this has had on her life, her choices and her experiences. Welcome to "The Adoption Void."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, Ohio, United States

I am a female adoptee born in May of 1971. I initially began this journey to explore my feelings about my adoption and to decide if I wanted to seek out my birth family. I have since been happily reunited with my birth siblings! I do have more than one blog on blogger.com - one for adoption, one for everything else. Unless adoption has touched your life, you'll probably find the "everything else" much more fun to read!

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Legacy of an adopted child - AUTHOR IDENTIFIED

I am all but bouncing in my seat. Tonight on the adoption.com forum, someone made a post about finding a poem tucked away inside a family bible.

The poem was "Legacy of an adopted child" (read my post about it here) - it was published in "Teen" magazine back in the late 70's or early 80's in their "Poetry Corner." When the poster put it on the adoption.com forum, she included the author's name!!!

I urge ALL webmasters to update their sites where they have this credited to "Author Unknown." The author is Lisa Wright. She was 19 at the time and lived in Leeds, Massachusetts.
Thank you, Lisa, for writing a poem that has meant so much to so many.

Here, then, is the original:

Legacy Of An Adopted Child

Once there were two women
Who never knew each other.
One you do not remember
The other you call mother.

Two different lives.
Shaped to make yours one.
One became your guiding star
The other became your sun.

The first gave you life,
The second taught you to live in it.
The first gave you a need for love
And the second was there to give it.

One gave you a nationality
The other gave you a name.
One gave you the seed of talent
The other gave you an aim.

One gave you emotions
The other calmed your fears.
One saw your first smile
The other dried your tears.

One gave you up,
It was all that she could do.
The other prayed for a child
And was led straight to you.

And now you ask me through your tears,
The age-old question through the years:
Heredity or enviornment-which are
you the product of?
Neither, my darling, neither-
Just two different kinds of love.

Lisa Wright, 19, Leeds, Mass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home