One adoptees' attempt to explore the conflicting feelings of having been adopted, and the impact this has had on her life, her choices and her experiences. Welcome to "The Adoption Void."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, Ohio, United States

I am a female adoptee born in May of 1971. I initially began this journey to explore my feelings about my adoption and to decide if I wanted to seek out my birth family. I have since been happily reunited with my birth siblings! I do have more than one blog on blogger.com - one for adoption, one for everything else. Unless adoption has touched your life, you'll probably find the "everything else" much more fun to read!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Legacy of an adopted child

For years I've seen this poem floating around the internet always attributed to "author unknown." It drives me insane. And no, I didn't write it. But I remember the first time I saw it in print, in "Teen" Magazine, back in the early 1980's in their "Poetry Corner." I kept a copy of the poem for years and there most definitely was an author. I believe her name was Peggy or Patty. One of these days I am going to find an old copy of the magazine and find out for sure. The author was another adopted teen who submitted her poem to the magazine. The other thing that bugs me is that it's often misquoted. I've had this poem embedded in my heart for over 20 years.

I want that woman to know that I have not forgotten what she wrote and I haven't forgotten her.


Legacy of an adopted child

Once there were two women who never knew each other
One you do not remember, the other you call mother.

Two different lives shaped to make yours one
One became your guiding star, the other became your sun.

The first gave you life, the second taught you to live it
The first gave you a need for Love, the second was there to give it.

One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name
One gave you the seed for talent, the other gave you an aim.

One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears
One saw your first smile, the other dried your tears.

One gave you up, it was all that she could do
The other prayed for a child and was led straight to you.

And now you ask me through your tears
the age old question through the years,

"Heredity or environment, which am I the product of?"

Neither my darling, neither,
Just two different kinds of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home