One adoptees' attempt to explore the conflicting feelings of having been adopted, and the impact this has had on her life, her choices and her experiences. Welcome to "The Adoption Void."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, Ohio, United States

I am a female adoptee born in May of 1971. I initially began this journey to explore my feelings about my adoption and to decide if I wanted to seek out my birth family. I have since been happily reunited with my birth siblings! I do have more than one blog on blogger.com - one for adoption, one for everything else. Unless adoption has touched your life, you'll probably find the "everything else" much more fun to read!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I broke my brain tonight

I was doing the same thing I do most nights lately, digging through old archived posts on the adoption.com forums, checking to see if anyone has been looking for me in the 6 years the site has existed. There are thousands, not hundreds of pages of these posts. Ooops.

Anyway, I came across one buried away where someone asked, "How do I know if I'm a twin or not?"

My brain broke.

After researching this a bit, it turns out that many of the amended birth certificates in the 60's and 70's say "single birth," even if this wasn't the truth. It seems that if a decision was made to place the twins in different homes, the birth certificates no longer reflect the fact of a multiple birth. Which means I have no way of really knowing if I have a twin or not. I don't think I do. I'm sure I would know on some level. But for a few moments, I had to really think about that. "What if...?"

What a scary thought.

I don't know how I would deal with that. I don't think I am prepared to see "me" on another body. One of me is more than enough! LOL

We take it for granted that we were single births, but how common is it that people go their entire lives without ever knowing they are a twin? I'm not sure, but I'll be doing more research into this because now I'm curious. How often are adoptees unaware that they are a twin or triplet, etc.?

My brain hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home