One adoptees' attempt to explore the conflicting feelings of having been adopted, and the impact this has had on her life, her choices and her experiences. Welcome to "The Adoption Void."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, Ohio, United States

I am a female adoptee born in May of 1971. I initially began this journey to explore my feelings about my adoption and to decide if I wanted to seek out my birth family. I have since been happily reunited with my birth siblings! I do have more than one blog on blogger.com - one for adoption, one for everything else. Unless adoption has touched your life, you'll probably find the "everything else" much more fun to read!

Friday, February 03, 2006

Can you hear us now?

Our "blogging buddy" Kim Kim contacted Carrie Craft at adoption.about.com to tell her about some of the blogs we, the adoptees, have been maintaining. Carrie has some fabulous lists of blogs from across the plane, and has now added a list of adoptee blogs. You can see the list here. Don't forget to check out her Top 10 Placing/Birthparent Blogs list and her Top 10 Adoptive Parent Blogs list as well.

I made an observation on Kim Kim's blog that I find it interesting that most of us (adoptees) have only been blogging for a few short months. I find myself wondering if we are so quiet because we are perpetuating the shroud of secrecy which surrounds our origins. Now we're learning to speak up, and leaning on each other for support. I thought at one time that I didn't want anyone but me reading what I wrote on my blog - now I find that the little comments my new friends leave for me each day bring me great comfort. I'm glad my voice is being heard, and more than that, I'm glad it is being heard by people who GET it.

The more I think about it, the more I think there really is something to this idea that we are perpetuating the silence. When you look around the majority of adoption sites, the adoptees seem to be in the minority. It is almost as if we are afraid of coming together and connecting with each other, afraid of speaking, afraid someone might hear us.

Not any more. Not, at least, for this group of "blogging buddies." We are going to speak our truth, whatever that truth may be. No more silence. No more secrets. No more shame.

Can you hear us now?

1 Comments:

Blogger Cookie said...

Heart,

It does feel good to be "out of the closet" and finding our voices, huh? And the more of us who do speak up, the faster change can occur. I sincerely believe that!

Glad you decided to share your voice with us!

February 03, 2006 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home