One adoptees' attempt to explore the conflicting feelings of having been adopted, and the impact this has had on her life, her choices and her experiences. Welcome to "The Adoption Void."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, Ohio, United States

I am a female adoptee born in May of 1971. I initially began this journey to explore my feelings about my adoption and to decide if I wanted to seek out my birth family. I have since been happily reunited with my birth siblings! I do have more than one blog on blogger.com - one for adoption, one for everything else. Unless adoption has touched your life, you'll probably find the "everything else" much more fun to read!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Grey's Anatomy

I learn so much from blogs and from the people who write them. Manuela wrote to me about the show "Grey's Anatomy." In particular, she wanted to call my attention to a recent episode. I don't watch this show, though I understand it is very popular. Manuela wrote a post describing what took place in the episode about adoption. You can read it here. Now, as I said, I did not see this episode for myself. But I must say that Manuela's rendition of it causes me concern - I'm uncomfortable with the way adoption/birth mothers are apparently portrayed in the episode.

She discovered that one of the show writers maintains a blog where viewers can comment. (Way to go!) So if you saw the episode and would like to comment on it, please visit the writer's blog and let your voice be heard. I am refraining from commenting on that blog because I did not see the episode, but I have a feeling I'm a rarity - seems just about everyone and their brother watches it. LOL

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

I saw this episode and I didn't think their portrayal of the birthmother was bad. This show is actually pretty good, and I think they did a good job of presenting adoption as one option that the mother could choose. It was not preachy or anything.

February 02, 2006 12:07 AM  
Blogger Cookie said...

Didn't see it either, Heart, but, from what I have heard, it sounds like the advice from the doctor was the same old rhetoric about what a wonderful option adoption is, without any mention of all the negative aspects of it and the lifelong difficult ramifications.

Adopted Life I am guessing may be an adoptive parent? And pleased that the adoption option was mentioned? Just guessing.

Interesting reading people's comments - the adoption part of the show didn't even seem to be mentioned by many - except for a few birth moms who hated that part.

February 02, 2006 1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home