One adoptees' attempt to explore the conflicting feelings of having been adopted, and the impact this has had on her life, her choices and her experiences. Welcome to "The Adoption Void."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, Ohio, United States

I am a female adoptee born in May of 1971. I initially began this journey to explore my feelings about my adoption and to decide if I wanted to seek out my birth family. I have since been happily reunited with my birth siblings! I do have more than one blog on blogger.com - one for adoption, one for everything else. Unless adoption has touched your life, you'll probably find the "everything else" much more fun to read!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Imagine all the people...

If we could reduce the world’s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, the demographics would look something like this:

60 Asians Music3
12 Europeans  Music3
5 US Americans and Canadians  Music3
8 Latin Americans  Music3
14 Africans  Music3
49 would be female  Mffemale
51 would be male  Mfmale
82 would be non-white  Color 
18 white Triplets
89 heterosexual  Love6
11 homosexual  Love3
33 would be Christian Pray
67 would be non-Christian Namaste
5 would control 32% of the entire world’s wealth, and all of them would be US citizens 2cents
80 would live in sub standard housing BangHead
24 would not have any electricity  Tv
(And of the 76% that do have electricity, most would only use it for light at night.)
67 would be unable to read  Read2
1 (only one) would have a college education.  Homework
50 would be malnourished and 1 dying of starvation Cry
33 would be without access to a safe water supply  Fishing
1 would have HIV  Sad4
1 near death  Thud
2 would be near birth  A_binkybaby
7 people would have access to the Internet  Googley

If you have a bank account,
money in your purse
and there is some trifle in your coin box, 
you belong to 8% of well-provided people in this world.  Smiley

If there is a meal in your refrigerator,
if you are dressed and have got shoes,
if you have a bed and a roof above your head,
you are better off, than 75% of people in this world. Smiley

If you have never experienced a war,  
the loneliness of an imprisonment,  
an agony of tortures,  or a famine,  
You are happier, than 500 million persons in this world. Smiley

If you woke up this morning with more health than sickness,
you are luckier than the million that will not survive this week. Smiley

If you are able to go to church, mosque or synagogue
without fear of harassment, arrest, torture or death,
you are happier, than 3 billion persons in this world. Smiley

If you take a look at the world from this condensed perspective,
the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes evident.  Grouphug

 

 

5 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

Did you find this somewhere or is this yours?

It is amazing and I think if you did write this you should put your name on the bottom, copyright it and send it around the world!!!!!

There are sooooo many people I would LOVE to see read this!!!

March 30, 2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

wow!!!!amazing!!!this really puts things into perspective. i second the query. is this your work? if so, it needs to be all over the internet. i wonder out of 100 people how many would be adoptees? =)

March 30, 2006 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen this before, but not nearly so beautifully and creatively presented. I have just spend the morning complaining about something pretty stupid really....but after reading this I figured I was being pretty stupid. I'm much luckier than many... thanks!

March 30, 2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger Heartened said...

I'd love to take credit but, unfortunately, all I did was take a few similar lists I've seen elsewhere and add the smiley emoticons to it.

I just thought it was so cool and, while not "adoption related," just one of those things I thought people should see.

Glad everyone enjoyed it so much, I know I did!!

March 30, 2006 9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are definitely "one of a kind"!! keep up the good stuff, kid.

April 01, 2006 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home