One adoptees' attempt to explore the conflicting feelings of having been adopted, and the impact this has had on her life, her choices and her experiences. Welcome to "The Adoption Void."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, Ohio, United States

I am a female adoptee born in May of 1971. I initially began this journey to explore my feelings about my adoption and to decide if I wanted to seek out my birth family. I have since been happily reunited with my birth siblings! I do have more than one blog on blogger.com - one for adoption, one for everything else. Unless adoption has touched your life, you'll probably find the "everything else" much more fun to read!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I'm planning to adopt

Doggies!  LOL

This has nothing to do with human adoption, sorry!  I’m going to gush on about the doggies hubby and I are going to be adopting next year.  Here’s a few pictures of the breed to whet your appetite.

 

This is a Goldendoodle pup.  They are a cross between Golden Retrievers and Poodles. 

000_1772

I really like the coloring in this one – it seems to be a cross between an apricot and a red.

1100300

Look at that face!

Goldendoodle

Awwwwwwwww

Goldendoodle_3

Hubby and I plan to bring two male Doods into our family next spring.  Even though we’re looking for a rental house right now while we become familiar with our new area, we don’t want to bring home the boys until we have a house (of our own) with several acres for them to romp on.  I’d prefer at least 4 acres, lots of room for them to run and play.

We are absolutely in love with this breed.  We’ll be looking for two males (litter mates), preferably F1B generation.  The F1 generation is a cross between a pure retriever and a pure standard poodle.  An F1B is a backcross between an F1 dood and a pure standard poodle.  Poodles have hair, not fur, making them more hypoallergenic.  That’s not a problem for hubby and I, though.  I just like the  “curly shag” you get with an F1B.  Some breeders have begun to cross two F1’s making an F2 generation.  That’d work for us, too.  In actuality, I don’t care as much as it sounds like I do – I care more about the personality “fit.”

I love poodles and I love retrievers – a Doodle is the perfect mix for us.  Typically, I’m big on rescues – like our cats were both rescue cats.  Every dog I had growing up was a rescue as well except one – and we only got him because he was the runt in an AKC line that no one really wanted.  We did, though, and I loved him dearly.

So for once, I’m going to go the totally selfish route.  The Doods will probably cost around $3,000 for the pair and I’ll gladly pay it.  The funny thing is, I don’t even feel remotely guilty about buying from a breeder.  It’s funny because I’ve always been vocally AGAINST most breeders.  Fortunately, I’ve been able to spend a lot of time learning about reputable Doodle breeders.  Because they are a relatively new breed, it seems breeders and such are very well documented.

Doods are extremely social dogs.  They thrive in an environment where they are “part of the family.”  They are generally easily trained and obedient yet playful.  They don’t take well to being left alone for extended period of time.

During the years we were driving all over the country for hubby’s job, our cats went with us.  We have a wonderful soft-sided dog crate in which we’d place their beds, litter box and food/water.  We’d put it in the back of our van or blazer and they’d curl up in their beds and happily snooze the miles away.  Even though we won’t be traveling for his work anymore, we still enjoy traveling for vacations.  We have an “if we can’t drive, we don’t go” attitude for the most part.  Keep in mind, given enough vacation time, we would drive to Alaska without a second thought!  LOL  It’s not that we’re not interested in international travel.  We will do some on a limited basis.  And in those circumstances, we have family/friends who would house & pet sit.  But our pets are family, we like taking them with us.   That’s not going to change once we get the Doods.  They’ll learn from puppyhood to be good passengers. 

One of the breeders I’m looking at is in Ohio.  They’re a few hours from us which is great – we’ll be able to drive down and “meet” the sire and dam and “meet” the litter before they’re ready to come home.  I’m looking forward to that.  I’ve actually sent a letter to the breeder asking for more info because I want to be totally educated about the breed before we bring them home.  I’m hoping the breeder will be open to us making a visit this summer to meet the sires and dams and spend a little time with their newest litters. 

I find it strange that you can actually SHIP a puppy?  This boggles my mind.  Even if we went with a breeder across the country, there’s no way I’d let my Doodbabies be shipped on an airplane!  I’d happily drive out to pick them up and drive them home.  At least this way, they become acclimated to being in a car from early on.

Hubby and I are already talking names.  Here’s a few candidates.  Feel free to make suggestions!!! Remember, we’ll be bringing home two brothers.  And they’ll lean towards the apricot, red, cream colorings. 

Londo & G’kar (Lonnie and Jack) – from one of our favorite shows, B5.
Banichi & Jago (Bean and Yaggie) – from one of our favorite book series, even though in the book, Jago is female.
Xavier & Zander (Zave & Zand) – just two names we like.

I know we have a few others but I’m drawing a blank right now!  I’ve got doodle brain, what can I say? LOL

Wilson8mths2rs

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cute! I love dogs!

March 07, 2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

I never thought I would buy from a breeder either but after a year of futile searches at our local pound I decided otherwise. We wanted a small dog and those cuties go fast at the pound!
We live in puppy mill country so I had to search and search for a reputable breeder until we finally found our Charlie (Bichon Frise) and all is right with the world.
If you have time maybe you could teach me how to add photos to my blog? I would love to share a photo of our ding dong doggie who is entirely convinced his name is KING Char! Spoiled ball of fluff that he is.
Our very loved nut ball seems to have some serious issues with clean. He furiously barks and chases the vacuum, the broom, the mop and even ME when I dust!

March 08, 2006 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my vote is for jago and banichi . . . i am a big fan of C. J. Cherryh too.

March 08, 2006 10:44 PM  
Blogger Heartened said...

Nope, no pugs for me - I'd end up stepping on them or sitting on them! Just ask my cats. LOL Besides, I need dogs who can stand up to my cat - he thinks he is the boss. I figure a dog has to be at least three times his size to be safe. -laughing-

Good to "meet" another CJ fan. A friend turned me on to her and she's now one of my favorites. I'm anxiously waiting the latest Atevi book!!! Pretenders, I think.

Mia, anytime - give me a jingle this weekend.

March 10, 2006 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are not the only one waiting for the new book, although i have enjoyed the atevi series, i like most of what she writes. if you like CJ, you might like octavia butler as well. she wrote "kindred". have you ever read anything by her. (other favorites of mine, orson scott card & robert heinlein)

btw, i have been reading your blog for a while now. as a birthmom, it is insightful for me to read the thoughts and feelings of other viewpoints along the "adoption plane". thank you for sharing yourself with others.

March 10, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger Heartened said...

I haven't read Octavia Butler's books, but I'll pick them up this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

I LOVE Orson Scott Card! I've read everything he's written. I typically get obsessed with an author and buy all their books and read them in a marathon. LOL I went through the entire Enders Game series in 4 days and then polished off his Oversoul books in like 3 more days. He also has several great stand-alone books. One of my favorites was the alternative Christopher Columbus history. Great!

Heinlein is my all-time favorite author. I've read and reread his books at least 5 times.

You'll appreciate my laughter when I learned I was "Baby Girl Long," and I'm sure you'll grok how much I hope to find a Lazarus in my birth father's family!! In my next life, I want to be born on Tertius.

Do you blog? Would you be willing to share a link so I can add you to the list?

March 11, 2006 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"baby girl long", yes, i can see the humor in that. good luck with finding your lazarus.

i tend to be obsessive compulsive when reading, but i balance it out with periods of sewing/crafting.(which i am also obsessive compulsive about. right now i am in sewing mode.

if i did blog i would be happy to share with you, but i don't. i have thought about it. when i first started reading these blogs, i got to thinking about how i used to write quite a bit of poetry.then i thought about when i stopped . . . i realized it was when i lost my daughter to adoption. a very painful realization. (we have been reunited since june 2001, but some memories don't get any less painful, i think we just get familiar with the pain)

do you like poetry/prose? you may find some of rod mckuen's work to your liking. he was raised by his mother, but he never knew his father. "finding my father" is his book about his search, and contains some of his best (IMHO) writings. i especially like the one about "a string untied needs tying up just as every empty space, merely to prove its existence, needs walking through" here's another of my favorites http://www.mckuen.com/flights/231001.htm scroll down to "initial instructions"

March 14, 2006 12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WANT A GOLDEN DOODLE! OMG! lolz

Hi. :)

March 15, 2006 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home